Nutrition is defined as the processes by which an animal or plant takes in and utilises food substances. Nutrition is essential for growth and development, health and wellbeing. It has been well documented that eating a healthy diet can help prevent future illness and disease, such as heart disease, certain cancers, diabetes, stroke and osteoporosis. It can also reduce major risk factors associated for chronic diseases such as obesity, high blood pressure and high blood cholesterol improving quality and length of life. However, even with this knowledge, we are all unique in our genetic make-up, our lifestyle, personal beliefs and culture all playing a major role in our food considerations. Smart Health & Fitness will advise and support you to make informed decisions on what foods you should be considering, we will tailor plans and programs that will help you achieve your goals and more importantly equip you with life changing information that will promote a healthier more energised you!
‘Healthy Fitness Recipes’ membership scheme
Are you stuck for healthy recipe ideas…?
Maybe you are bored of eating the same old food week in week out…?
Would you like to eat healthier and improve your family’s eating habits…?
If you said yes to any of these then click here to apply for our exclusive monthly ‘Healthy Fitness Recipes’ membership scheme!
What you will you get every month direct to your inbox:
* x 15 Healthy fitness inspired pdf recipes.
* x 4 Easy to follow videos, that include ingredients list and fully subtitled.
Click here to download a free recipe sample for Coconut Bounty Balls!
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food!”
How can Smart Health & Fitness Help?
As a registered and qualified nutritionist we have extensive knowledge and experience in providing guidance/support to improving or even over-hauling your current eating habits.
We create bespoke nutrition plans all designed for specific purposes so whether you are looking to lose weight, gain muscle mass or enhance your athletic performance we will devise a food program that will make a difference to you and your lifestyle.
Firstly, we will evaluate your lifestyle and then ask you to undertake a 7 day food diary. From there we will analyse your food consumption diary and provide detailed tips and feedback on area’s where better alternatives exist. We will give you guidance on supplements and provide you with a detailed diet plan you can easily follow.
Your mindset and food preparation are crucial factors when reviewing your nutrition, so again I will provide you with tips and on-going support to make sure you don’t crash out and revert back to the bad old eating habits! When talking to people about nutrition I like to use the analogy of thinking of your body as a high performance sports car, let’s say a shiny, new, red Ferrari! The fuel you put in your petrol tank is food. Would you put the lowest grade of fuel in your Ferrari…? Of course not – but if you are indulging in cakes, pastries, sweets and crisps on a regular basis you are putting gunk in your fuel tank. Would you let your Ferrari run out of petrol…? No, you would always make sure it had fuel.
Peak athletic performance requires plenty of high quality fuel – not gunk!
The Oxidizer Test?
There are basically three different ways that we as people use food for fuel. What this means is that there are actually three different macronutrient recommendations one could choose to follow, depending on how your body burns.
1. Fast oxidizers – Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 20 percent carbs, 50 percent protein, 30 percent fat.
2. Slow oxidizers – Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 60 percent carbs, 25 percent protein, and 15 percent fat.
3. Balanced oxidizers – Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.
There are pretty substantial differences between the three so it’s no wonder so many people show no loss when dieting and simply give up! They’re eating the wrong stuff!
I would advise anyone WHO IS NOT HAVING ANY SUCCESS AT LOSING WEIGHT, to see me and take a simple oxidizer test so we can find out exactly what your body prefers to run on. Trust me; it could make a world of difference in your weight loss efforts!
Basic Nutrition Tips
- Always eat breakfast http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/pages/healthybreakfasts.aspx
- Eat fruit and vegetables (min 5 portions per day) http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/5ADAY/Pages/Why5ADAY.aspx
- Drink plenty of water http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx
- Cut down on saturated fat and sugar (Cakes, sweets, crisps) http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/eat-less-saturated-fat.aspx
- Do not exceed 6g of salt a day http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/salt.aspx
- Eat more fish (2 portions a week, 1 oily) http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/goodfood/pages/fish-shellfish.aspx
Health is like money, we never have a true idea of its value until we lose it... Invest in yourself today, it will be the best investment you'll ever make!